Monday, December 1, 2014

Interest Monday - Karaoke

Hi my Fellow Magicians!
Hope your holiday weekend was stellar! I'm in the middle of a really stressful but fun sci-fi history paper for school. Sorry for missing out on writing three times a week. But I'm back on schedule and I'll make sure to keep it that way!

Before I got my second and third loves - video gaming and movies, there was my first love: music. I always imagined that I'd be a singer someday and that dream doesn't feel too distant whenever I have a few shots to go to an open-mic karaoke event. My first solo was Unbreak My Heart by Toni Braxton, I've performed in choirs since I was 4 and I am very picky when it comes to my karaoke tracks because I want them to sound as close to the original track as possible and it's frustrating to try to and find one that comes with backing vocals! (/rant)
Being a DJ on Mahou Kunoichi often reignites those passions of performing on-stage with flashy costumes and all the videos and voiceovers. I often imitated Hikaru Utada, Michael Jackson and Selena (Quintanilla-Perez, thank you very much though her contemporary namesake is good too) whenever I was taking a break from waiting for Luna or Artemis to come to my house and make me a Sailor Senshi/my letter to Hogwarts. It really killed the boredom between classes to think about all the music and performing I can do and it was a joy that kept me alive whenever I can't reach a TV or controller. I often work to it as well (though at the station it can be rather tricky - the sound system is really good ^_^;).
But in the last year, I haven't been able to jump into choirs let alone solo performances as often. It's also been over 2 years since I've formally performed on-stage: last one being a parody of Antigone where I played one of the choir members. Even with the radio show, I often felt like I was doing very little with my life and I had no skills. But that changed when I got my iPhone 5c last year. I discovered the Sing! app by Smule (aka Schmoyoho from YouTube, famous for Songify This). At first I was a rather nervous wreck trying it out. I often cringed at the sound of my own singing voice (I can't stand it being amplified either). But I felt like I wasn't alone - people had similar dreams and interests and were using this app to get there. It was fun singing in groups and duets and do performances that could only happen in my dreams.

Occasionally some of those performances make it on to my show - I've played a few on my show Happy by Pharrell, Ari No Mama De (Japanese version of Idina Menzel's version of Let It Go), and Reach for the Stars by Cash Cash. I haven't made many solo performances but I hope to have the courage to show more of what I've got on my own plate to the world. My horoscope is one of being a showoff being a Leo yet my personality is anything but that considering how introverted I am. I don't want to be arrogant if I do become comfortable in my voice. I want to be able to give back the same way I do now - with fun and love.

It'll take a while to get back into the performing groove but it'll come back to me soon. I have no doubt.

If you're curious about my vocal performances, just look up my username MV_singstar90210 on smule.com. Feel free to request a duet with me. I love 80s and 90s pop, Japanese music and musicals. I haven't been recording as frequently due to my luck with headphones (*sigh*) and school. I'll be back on the bandwagon soon! The app's supported by Android and Mac's App Store so check it out. It's free!

Happy singing!
<3 TM

PS - You may have noticed the PayPal button on the side of the bar. That's because I'm working on a currently untitled fiction project (and publication) and trying to cover con expenses - namely food, hotels, con fees, equipment upgrades and possible cosplay supplementation. My current goal is to afford entrance to Zenkaikon next year. It was one of the first few anime cons I've been to and it has provided many great memories as well as my first photo portfolio. I have a job but it covers simple things like game title revamps and site memberships.
I want Magician support to be voluntary and gradual. Patreon and Kickstarter are also too far out of my reach at the moment, seeing as I've only run this site for 8 months. Any amount big or small will help considerably. ありがとうございます!

No comments:

Post a Comment