Thursday, May 15, 2014

"Training" Thursday - Yoga Routine

Hello Magicians!
So I promised that I'd post my routines on Wednesdays. Thanks to my mismanagement of exam week (combined with writing burnout), I'm doing it today. Sorry for the delay!

As I've said in my last post, I've switched my training from Zhan Zhuang to "warrior mind training" until classes are over. Simple mindfulness exercises and nighttime yoga are all of the things I can handle at the moment since I'm super exhausted. Next week, I may experiment with more intense routines.

But first... a little background music -
Strength - Tommy Guerrero [Toonami: Deep Space Bass]



For my daily mindfulness practice, I use Mindful on my iPad and iPhone to keep up with my mental awareness. The best part about this app is that I can get small tidbits of mindfulness throughout the day even if I only have 15 seconds at my disposal. Yep, you've read that right - 15 seconds.

The best part about this app is that whenever I have those moments where I need to recharge or I'm running on auto-pilot, that little pause lets me snap back together and focus on the present moment because every second counts, especially when you're on the mat and the battlefield. I have felt some annoyance in terms of the reminders whenever I don't keep up with them but it's a good incentive to keep going.
I'll experiment with the Headspace app next. I've read many good reviews on it and it was the most recommended on the App Store so I'm looking forward to trying something new.

In terms of my physical routine, I've been keeping it to gentle evening yoga routines via GaiamTV but I have managed to fit a couple of daytime routines. Thanks to the convenience and speed of my family's Roku box, I can get programs anytime I want. Of course, I can get GaiamTV at any location as well - there's laptop, tablet and even game console access.

My favorite routines so far have been Yoga for Insomnia (a big help for exam periods where my tendency is to stay up late), PM Yoga for Peak Performance (mostly meant for athletes but a good stretch nevertheless), Yoga for Back Care (an artist's strongest asset!) and Yoga in Bed (for those lazy days).

I'm looking forward to next week where I don't have to worry about school for a few months. MbT hasn't been touched in a while either so I'm excited to update it with new material.

Are you ready for Part 2 of my broadcast tomorrow? Tune in at 10am to hear more nostalgic songs from the Silver Millennium of Animation. Of course, I'm open to requests - I'm broadcasting all summer! If you also have routine recommendations, comment below. I'm all ears. :)

Cheers to exam week and summer vacation!
<3 TM

No comments:

Post a Comment