Friday, January 15, 2016

Dang. Nerds have it rough this week.

Hey fellow Magicians,

Bet you all are recovering from this whirlwind that is the start of 2016. I certainly am. It's been hard trying to look through the news online considering all that's been happening this week. Even a friendly BuzzFeed quiz or an insightful Huffington Post article from a friend hasn't pushed me to take a complete plunge into the news sphere. As you probably heard from this morning's broadcast, the most I could handle surfing was Rogue One news (and that material was almost a year old!).

We lost a lot of great people this year, starting off the new year with Natalie Cole, then Monday morning over a Buzzfeed quiz to recover from the mess that was the Golden Globes I find out David Bowie passed away. Then at the Verge, reading up on Spike Lee's latest documentary and the Academy Award nominations, Alan Rickman passed away yesterday. At this point, I'm not surprised that many of us (myself included) are probably saving up for once-in-a-lifetime con experiences, re-examining life's priorities, and trying to make at least one thing concrete in our plans before we join them in the stars. And it can be very easy to feel all alone in that effort, especially as we're already in a marginalized group when it comes to fandom and how we express it.

My message to you all this week is not to give into the despair, obsession, or depression so easily but to see the light in the cracks and be bold enough to reach out when you need it. Believe it or not, there are loads of people who know what you're going through and want to help. If you need somebody to talk to, I'm here for you as well. Feel free to comment here, private message me via Twitter (@djmk4life), or whatever's comfortable for you. This is my job - to give special people like you and me a voice, to provide education for the new initiates, and cheer and entertainment to the familiar. Most importantly, to deliver comfort beyond the radio and internet waves to make the world a better place to live in. The impact may be small but it'll benefit the long run.

David Bowie and Alan Rickman will be missed greatly. They're the two most influential performers I'm glad to have experienced in my lifetime. David Bowie taught me that being yourself is the best way to live. Alan Rickman taught me how even the sharpest tool in the shed can be used for multiple purposes and tricks. I really wanted to meet Alan Rickman because he had a fascinating philosophy and a story to tell and I'm sad that I missed that shot. The final lesson these two have taught me as well as many others before them is that you can't depend on your original plans completely. Sometimes you have to fast-forward a few steps before you can backtrack to where you want to be in. So seize those moments of joy because those moments may never come the same way again.

Carpe diem.

<3 DJ MK

PS - MK on Mixlr will continue where we left off with the Bowie/Rickman Tribute. Keep a lookout on my Twitter or on here to catch the livestream. Plus my laptop's finally in commission so I can record episodes again! YES! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment